Writing the perfect “About You” bio can be a daunting task. You have many different audiences to whom you wish to introduce yourself. You want to be compelling. engaging, informative and personal. You want to communicate confidence and expertise.
Here are 10 tips to help you move beyond the blinking cursor on the blank page.
- Understand your audience – This is critical. Do not write your bio for you, write to your audience. If you don’t know your audience, how do you expect to communicate with them? The better you know your audience, the better you can tell them about you and what you can do for them.
- More than the facts – Don’t bore your audience with the facts. Share the real you. My audience knows I like to garden, I enjoy good food, I support the community and I love my Corgi.
- Values added – What are your values? What drives you? What are your beliefs? Usually the same values that guide your life also guide your business. People connect with people who share the same values and beliefs.
- Image is everything – Include a recent picture of yourself. It builds trust and gives people a chance to look into your eyes. We are, after all, visual creatures!
- Map your professional journey – Tell people how you got to be where you are today. Again, avoid the facts, tell a story.
- How can you help – Potential clients want to know what you can do for them. Tell them. Be specific. Provide links to your products or service.
- Provide examples – If you have a portfolio or list of projects you have worked on, display it.
- Share your client feedback – Include client testimonials and stories about how you work and how you helped make the client’s experience positive and beneficial.
- Contact information – You want your audience to know how to contact you. Make sure they can easily find this information. Include a Call to Action ex: Find out more, Call today, etc.
- It’s not about you – What do you want your audience to leave with; a self – involved story about you or how your expertise can help solve their problem?
– Guest Poster Brenda Burch