Enjoying the unusually mild February weather? It has been a full month at Radar Hill. In this issue:
- Major Milestone: VREB
- Our People on the Hill
- Great News from Great Clients
- Coming Events
- Great Websites Launched for Great Clients
Radar Hill was chosen from several applicants to construct the new website for the Victoria Real Estate Board. This project represents a major milestone for our company and recognition of our position at the forefront of Responsive Web Design and data processing. Hundreds of listings and thousands of photos are appended on an hourly basis and displayed in a format that is fully optimized across all screen sizes. With nearly 60,000 page views per month we were challenged to maximize download speed, retain data integrity, and display it in an attractive presentation across all viewing devices.
Ten Year Anniversary: Megan Newhouse, our Director of Awesomeness, is celebrating her ten-year anniversary with Radar Hill this month. Since she joined us, Megan has gotten married, bought a house, and given birth to two children. Her most recent is Declan, born Saturday January 17, weighing 7 pounds, 10 ounces. He is a baby brother for Kieran. Congratulations Megan, thank you for being an invaluable part of our team over the past decade, and see you when your maternity leave ends.
Five Year Anniversary: Graphic Designer Ken Hamilton is celebrating five years at Radar Hill. Congratulations Ken! As a break from creating awesome websites, Ken likes to display his musical talent playing banjo and guitar in the office.
More Musical Talent: Graphic Designer Julie Melano plays percussion, which includes snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, tambourine, and drum sets, with the Greater Victoria Concert Band. She has some spring concerts coming up. If you have musical talent and want to join, the band is always looking for more musicians.
A Groupie and a Roadie: Graphic Designer Mike Culhane is a groupie and a roadie. His wife and father-in-law play in The Burton Bunch, this month’s Band of the Month at the UVic Student Pub. Mike has been there every Wednesday night, supporting and helping setup and takedown.
Kendra’s Knee: Our Google Specialist Kendra Savich went into surgery on Tuesday to have a loose body removed from her knee that has been interfering with her walk since high school. It was a simple laparoscopic procedure, and after recovering from her anesthetic, was back in the office on Thursday. She thanks everyone at Victoria Surgery for being extremely professional and welcoming, and Dr. Nelson from ReBalance for performing the procedure. For the time being she is keeping her leg propped up at her desk and is using a crutch to help with stairs.
Andrea’s Break: Office Administrator Andrea Chan reports that “In the middle of the night of October 19th my daughter, Brielle, woke up crying desperately for her water. So, downstairs I trudged, counting the stairs as I go so as not to miss any. Not a problem, I’ve done these stairs thousands of times before. And, I missed the last stair, left foot down first and crack! An expletive was spoken, and I, in very much pain, hopped back upstairs. By this time everyone was up. And, the amazing daughter that I have came to my side to make sure her mommy was ok. The next day I went for an x-ray to reveal that I had broken the 5th metatarsal in my left foot. With an air cast and after many appointments at the hospital, it is healing nicely.”
Blood and Recognition: On behalf of Radar Hill, Client Care Coordinator Jennifer Dempsey attended the Partners For Life Recognition Lunch presented by Canadian Blood Services on February 19th. As part of the Partners for Life program, we pledge how many blood donations we will make. Last year we pledged 15 and exceeded our goal with 16 donations! Canadian Blood Services thanked us, along with many other companies that are part of the program, with a lunch in the Ivy Ballroom at the Fairmont Empress Hotel. Guest speakers included members of the McSweeney family, three of whom would not be alive today if it wasn’t for blood donors. It was touching to hear their stories and reflect on how thankful they are to be alive thanks to donors.
Technology Award: Art Sutherland of Accent Refrigeration received the ASHRAE Technology Award in the Public Assembly – New category for the Westhills Recreation Center. The project is the first in North America to:
- Use new ultra high efficient reciprocating compressors;
- Have total integration between an ice facility and an entire community, with excess heat energy used as an energy source for the Westhills housing development;
- Utilize ammonia heat pumps to heat a housing community and is one of only a few ammonia based air conditioning systems.
Arts Award: Author Michelle Mulder received the 2014 Children’s Literature Roundtables of Canada Information Book Award. for her book Pedal It.
Concussion Testing: Ashley Nelson, Certified Athletic Therapist with Start Line Health and Wellness Group will be heading up a concussion program which involves pre-concussion testing, post-concussion testing, and rehabilitation services. If you have a child in sports where concussions are likely to occur (soccer, hockey, rugby) or know of a sport team that would like pre-concussion testing, contact Ashley at Start Line: 250-746-7463.
- Join us in Duncan for An Introduction to Google Analytics, Wednesday, 4 March, 10:00 am, at Dynamic HR Solutions, #204 – 64 Station Street, Duncan. Learn the basics of Google Analytics from our Google-certified specialist and become familiar with how to make sense of all this for business-building information |Details and registration… Need a promo code? Radar Hill clients receive discounts on all sessions and workshops of between 50% and 100%.
- Movie nights are back at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel! See the release of big screen features at the David Foster Foundation Theatre, Tuesdays at 6:15 pm. Gourmet snacks are available, and wine or beer can be purchased to enjoy while watching a great film! View movie listings and times…
- Lunch & Learn at Dynamic HR Solutions | Contact to register…
March 5: What’s Behind the Chocolate Cake? with Suzanne Simcox of Rock Solid Leadership. Learn about the different types of distractions and how they could be affecting performance, productivity, and relationships.
March 12: Overtime 101 with Alan McEwen, HRIS/Payroll consultant. Are you paying the right amount for overtime?
- VREB.org: Victoria Real Estate Board – An association of REALTORS® who work and live in Greater Victoria and the Southern Gulf Islands. New optimized website with CMS, document hosting and management, SEO site content tailoring, and social network integration. Hundreds of listings and thousands of photos are displayed in a format that is fully optimized across all screen sizes, with nearly 60,000 page views per month | Read more…
- Pan Health Centre – Traditional Chinese herbal medicine in Victoria: New optimized website with CMS and e-commerce | Read more…
- Jordan River Gravel – Excavation, trucking services, land clearing, road construction, landscaping & long-time client: Redesign with CMS and Google+ Listing | Read more…
- Andy Stephenson – REALTOR® licensed in Victoria and Calgary: New optimized website with CMS and VREB listings admin | Read more…
- Westbrook Consulting – Specializing in municipal infrastructure and land development engineering, Westbrook has become the leader in land development engineering consulting in the Westshore. New optimized website with CMS | Read more…
- Paulette Marsollier – Victoria REALTOR® and long-time client: Upgrade to optimized with VREB listings admin | Read more…
That is it for another edition of our newsletter. If there is a special event or celebration you would like mentioned, tell us about it. Thank you for your ongoing support,
The Team at Radar Hill